Happy New Year!
By Lucy Hackett
Looking forward to another great year with many of our Mission’s guests receiving deliverance from difficult circumstances and challenges! 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
2021 was another year of blessing and challenges at the Mission! Thank you for all your support. Read below bullet points of some of the many events and projects that took place at Haven of Rest Ministries:
- 2,410 unique individual men, women and children were served with food, shelter, clothing, and care!
- Kitchen renovation – new items purchased such as ovens, gas range, kettle, tilt skillet, dishwasher, drying rack, stainless-steel work stations and cabinets, wall mounted fans and lights, prep areas remodeled, and refrigeration equipment updated!
- New flooring was installed in the Dining Room making the room brighter for guests to enjoy!
- 11 residents graduated from Career Development with a new outlook for their futures!
- Men’s Garden Project produced 1,214 lbs. of produce for the kitchen staff who turned the beautiful veggies into meals!
- Residents were hired for various jobs at the Mission filling a great need!
- New minivan for transporting residents and new tractor for maintaining the grounds were purchased!
- 29th Annual African American Celebration – Pastor Curtis Minter, Sr. led with the theme “Rooted in Faith, Anchored by Hope”!
- National Volunteer Week – celebrated our many volunteers who help make this Mission operate more smoothly!
- Hartville Kitchen dinner – ‘Meet & Greet’ allowed guests to dine in or drive-thru for a delicious meal with dessert to enjoy!
- Hope Sports Camp for boys – 27 built athletic skills in basketball and learned lessons from the gospel, developed character, and made new friends! Hope Sports Camp for girls – 22 also built athletic skills in basketball and volleyball and learned lessons from the gospel, developed character, and made new friends!
- Chick-fil-A canned food drive – 12+ years running at the Fairlawn, Dressler, and Chapel Hill locations – they collected a total of 2,265 lbs. of food!
- Turkey Basket Giveaway – 98 totes full of food ingredients and table settings for a traditional Thanksgiving meal were given to families who did not have the means to purchase these items!
- Over 115 backpacks were given to students this school year all full of school supplies by Summit Racing employees!
- Children were offered the opportunity to go on the North Pole adventure train by the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad and collaboration with Appalachian Outfitters!
- Future Story participants have created over 100 products sold from the Future Story shop at Hartville Market!
- Women’s Dayroom was renovated with new furniture and updated décor!
- Happy Birthday Jesus party – 59 attended and were able to enjoy gifts, the Christmas story, desserts, and festivities!
- Adopt-A-Family – a total of 72 families adopted by supporters – 4 of these were sponsored by Haven of Rest and 10 were sponsored by Cleveland Clinic Akron General for Christmas gifts for students in public schools!
- Haven of Rest Public School Project kick-off: Back-to-school supplies purchased and given to students as well as Family Turkey Baskets and items for the Adopt-A-Family project for student families in need!
- Women’s Auxiliary – helped fund the touchless water fountain project (along with Northern Ohio Golf Charities) and Women’s Auxiliary also funded new entrance doors and security lock system!
- Hope Totes – a total of 1,374 bags were passed out to multiple counties -thanks to neighbors, families, friends, churches, businesses, employees, schools, civic organizations, and others!